Locally grown food is better for your health, better for the environment, and the right choice to support local farmers, producers and the economy.
Rocky View is home to numerous farms that grow a wide variety of foods – from a great selection of fruits and vegetables to different grains, dairies and cheeses. While the region is most famous for its beef, many local farmers also produce poultry, pork, and even beans, lentils and pulses.
Supporting local farmers and neighbours by buying locally produced and organic foods by visiting the producers, markets, restaurants and shops listed here.
Where to Find Local Food in Rocky View County
- Purple Ridge Farms, Airdrie
- Premium Organic Farms, SE of Calgary
- Buckler Farms, Bottrel
- Seeds to Greens, SE of Calgary
- Freshfield Berry Farm, Balzac
- Badger Ridge Greenhouse, Crossfield
- Uncle Bernie's Alberta Farm Raised Elk, Airdrie
- Calgary West Country Market
- Hobo Malt, Irricana
- Bear and the Flower Farm, Irricana
- Panik Nuna Farm, Cochrane
- Pleasant View U Pick Berries, Crossfield
Where to Find Local Food in Central and Southern Alberta
- Farmers' Markets: For a map of all Approved Farmers' Markets in Alberta along with contact information, dates and times of operation, visit the Sunnygirl.ca map. Approved farmers' markets adhere to minimum standards set out by Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development. Approved farmers' markets display the Sunnygirl logo. In addition to approved farmers' markets, there are many public markets in Alberta. Check local listings for details.
- Fresh from the Farm: The Alberta Farm Fresh Producers Association produces an annual guide listing u-pick and farm gate sales operators, their phone numbers, directions to their farms and what they sell. This guide is also available as an on-line interactive map.
- Greenhouse Growers: A map of greenhouse growers involved in retail sales.
- Agricultural Processing Industry Directory: This directory provides a comprehensive database of agricultural processing companies and industry organizations in Alberta.
- Buy Alberta helps you identify and purchase food products produced and processed right here in Alberta. Locally produced food products are clearly identifiable to assist shoppers in making informed choices quickly and simply at their local Safeway store.
Examples of Growing & Marketing Opportunities
Community Supported Agriculture
Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) or Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) is part of a growing social movement that encourages urban and rural citizens to share responsibility for the food that is grown. Consumers purchase shares in the farm operation where the farmers and consumers share the risks and benefits of food production.
Home Delivery Service
Home Delivery Service is a market channel where farmers sell their products to a "middle man" who then delivers multiple farmers' products directly to the consumers' homes or to a specific drop off point. This channel gives farmers more access to a larger client base as well as allows their customers to get the local or organic food they want in a convenient manner.
Farmers' Markets is one of the farm direct marketing channels that allow the consumer to directly access community-based entrepreneurs (producers) who make, bake, or grow the products they sell.
On-Farm Stores is one of the farm direct marketing channels that allows producers to deliver quality agri-food products directly to the consumer at a farm or ranch store.