How to Apply for a Permit
Permit applications are accepted in person only, Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Rocky View County Administration Building
Building Services Counter
911 32 Ave NE (map)
The following outlines the general process for Building Permit applications. The processes may differ slightly depending on the type of construction. A pre-application meeting with Building Services is strongly encouraged.
- Pre-application consultation: Applicants are recommended to discuss their proposal with a planner or schedule a pre-application meeting with Building Services at 403.230.1401.
- Application submitted: The application is submitted with the necessary forms, fees, and supporting information which varies depending on the project. (See project list)
- Evaluation of application: Building Services reviews the application for missing information, and assesses the project’s compliance with the Alberta Building Code, Fire Code and Safety Codes Act, the County’s Land Use Bylaw, and other applicable regulations.
- Decision: A decision is made either approving or refusing the application. The applicant will be advised of the decision.
- Permit issuance: Approved applications will have a permit issued the same day or up to three weeks after the application is made, depending on the project. The permit must be displayed in a window or be easily seen and copies of the plans must be kept on site at all times. Any changes to the proposed construction must be approved by the County.
- Inspections: A building inspector checks major phases of construction until completion. It is the responsibility of all building owners or agents to schedule inspections at the specified stages of construction. Some projects may also require sub-trade inspections, such as electrical, plumbing, and gas.
- Completion: Construction is complete, all inspections have been finalized and if applicable, occupancy has been granted on the inspection report.
Building projects require different applications and processes depending on what is being built. The following list of building projects provides details and instructions specific to each task.