As an outcome of the Reeve's Task Force, Council undertook an extensive review of the 2009 Growth Management Strategy (PDF). The result of the review is the release of a discussion paper, Rural Growth Management: A Discussion on Growth (PDF) for public review and comment during the County Plan consultation process. Once the consultation process is complete, the direction provided by the discussion paper and public feedback will be incorporated into the new County Plan.
The discussion paper provides suggested growth principles, including:
- the rural nature and importance of country residential, hamlet and agricultural communities
- the fiscal impact of growth must be sustainable and minimized
- growth must occur in an environmentally sustainable manner
The discussion paper provides suggests a broad strategic direction to manage residential and business growth by addressing the:
- acceptable amount of population growth
- general form and location of residential development
- the need for policy discussion regarding the conversion of agricultural land to residential use
- cost of growth
- general form and location of business development
The County Plan is projected to be presented to Council in June 2013. Until it is adopted as a statutory plan the current Growth Management Strategy remains in place.